I am helping raise a 2 almost 3 month old little girl alongside my husband. With the rare occasion of going on a date and of course work I rarely find an excuse to get all dolled up. The majority of my life consists of diapers, baby things, a bag full of clothes, my car on the road, sweatpants, and my hair on top of my head. The other day I decided to fix up a bit for no reason. I wasn’t going anywhere but I felt better about my day because I felt pretty. Then I read a blog post by one of my favorite actresses and bloggers, One Tree Hill”s, Haley/Bethany Joy Lenz, about the little things you can do to make your day feel more romantic. I enjoyed this post because on some of the things she put I could relate. Here are a few that would brighten my day.
- Curl Your Hair: Take a minute to completely curl your mane, put on some mascara and red lipstick. No one may see you but the walls or your kid but you will feel better and more put together about the woman smiling back at you in the mirror.
- Read: Pour yourself a cup of coffee and sit down and dive into a new book, magazine, or scripture. I always find it refreshing to read others thoughts, get into a story, or learn knew things. Once the babies are asleep or you have some free time-have some quiet me time and enjoy.
- Fresh Flowers: If you can budget in fresh flowers or have some planted of your own, pick some each week to set around in your home. I think you will appreciate the decoration and scent it provides around the house. There is NOTHING like the smell of fresh flowers!
- Mani/Pedi: Pedicures. Nothing like soft bare feet and freshly painted toes to make me feel more put together sometimes. I know, sounds odd but even the week before I had Paisley I had to make sure I had “pretty toes” and at that point I was on the verge of elephant feet and cankles. Regular pedicures can work mental wonders.
- Lunch Dates: Although these have been few and far between cause we are constantly on the go, little lunch dates are the bomb. Grab a girlfriend and go. Every time I go out with my best friend Lindsay and have some girl talk I feel a little stress relief and happier about my day because I got to talk and spend a portion of it with my friend.
- Christmas Lights: When I lived in the dorms at OSU I had a strand of white Christmas lights strung above my bed. The extra sparkle brightened up my room and made it feel a little more homey. I plan on doing something with string lights one day in our house.
- Make A Cooking Playlist: Even if it is only while you are making breakfast in the morning, have a little Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra playing in the background. Its just enough to get you singing and put you in the right mood. Plus classical music is just awesome anytime of the day.
- Blog: I blog not only because I love to share about our family but it is actually a bit of a stress reliever for me. Even though many may not ever read our posts, it is nice to put my thoughts on paper (on screen, I guess) and kind of ramble on about my day and what’s going on in the world of The Ashcrafts. I love reading others blogs also.